[IPAC-List] Minimum vs Preferred Qualifications

Graham, Erin Erin.Graham at das.ohio.gov
Thu Jan 2 14:04:22 EST 2014

I would like to find out how most public sector agencies address preferred qualifications when they have established minimum qualifications. Specifically, if you have an established level of education and experience in your minimum qualifications, would you be able to have a preferred qualification above and beyond the MQs (e.g., MQ = Bachelor's in Business Administration, Preferred qual = MBA)? Or, do you reserve preferred qualifications for a particular skill set (e.g., experience with a specific software)?

We currently are seeing a mixture of both in our postings, but are leaning toward preferred qualifications for a particular skill set.

Thank you in advance for sharing.