[IPAC-List] Minimum vs Preferred Qualifications

Ronald Clare rpclare at aol.com
Thu Jan 2 17:43:51 EST 2014

MQ,s are minimum qualification and are best utilized in screening out candidates who ( theoretically) can't do the job. If we are "testing" all candidates who meet MQs and relying on the test to sort candidates, the no consideration is usually given for quals above the minimum (e.g. 100% written test). However, this strategy is usually used only for entry level positions. For most positions we give additional credit for E&E above the minimum either in quantity ( more Ed or exper) or quality (more specialized Ed or targeted experience). On a " pure" T&E rating, someone who just meets the minimum qual would receive a 70 (minimum passing score) folks who have additional credentials would receive additional credit. E.G. A liberal arts BA might give a 70 but a BA in Hr might get an 80 and an Ma in HR might get a 90; 3 yrs exper in customer service might be 70 but 3 yrs HR help desk might be an 80. Each consideration should. Be job driven and all considerations should be framed in advance so we don't create grading systems that are candidate driven. Sometimes more Ed or exper does not add value to success in the job and should not be considered.

Sent from my iPad