[IPAC-List] Use of integrity assessments in public sector

Saul Fine saulfine at zahav.net.il
Fri Jan 3 09:17:16 EST 2014

This is a great discussion, and I agree with much of what has been written here. While integrity tests have been around for a while, there is still some confusion/disagreement regarding if, when and how they should be used. One of the sources of this confusion is likely related to the term integrity itself – As many of you probably already know, integrity tests are essentially designed to predict counterproductive work behaviors (CWB). This is not necessarily the same thing as measuring traits of “integrity” or “honesty” per se, and thus it may be fairer to say that these tests measure risks towards CWB. Perhaps if integrity tests were more often viewed as measures of risk potential, the issue of incorrectly labeling candidates as dishonest would be reduced; they might also be viewed as more similar other selection tools, and thereby more “politically” appropriate for the public sector as well. Like many tools – it really depends on how the tests are positioned and used in the selection process. In all events, I totally agree that integrity tests should not be used as the sole basis for making hiring decisions (should any test?), and results should certainly be followed up with additional assessments (e.g., integrity interviews, reference checks). On the other hand, this is difficult to enforce, and practitioners can really only recommend doing so. Another solution is to keep cut-scores low, as a means to reduce false positives.
For those interested in reading more - The ATP has published the “Model Guidelines for Pre-employment Integrity Testing” which can be found here: http://www.testpublishers.org/book-store.
Regards,
Saul.