[IPAC-List] : Use of integrity assessments in public sector

Lance Seberhagen sebe at erols.com
Sat Jan 4 17:16:30 EST 2014

Hi Dennis-- Here is a reference for you. Comment?

Ones & Viswesvaran (2001). Integrity tests and other criterion-focused
occupational personality scales (COPS) used in personnel selection.
International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 9, 31-39.

Lance Seberhagen, Ph.D.

Seberhagen & Associates

9021 Trailridge Court

Vienna, VA 22182

703-790-0796

www.seberhagen.com <http://www.seberhagen.com>

On 1/4/2014 3:04 PM, Dennis Doverspike wrote:

> Lance. Could you provide references to the studies where integrity

> testing predicts violence. Thanks

> Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 4, 2014, at 1:49 PM, Lance Seberhagen <sebe at erols.com

> <mailto:sebe at erols.com>> wrote:

>> Integrity tests and other measures of conscientiousness have

>> demonstrated validity to predict theft, drug abuse, violence, and

>> other CWB, with relatively low adverse impact. Thus, integrity tests

>> and other measures of conscientiousness provide an alternative

>> selection procedure for criminal history records and background

>> checks (devices with questionable validityand high adverse impact),

>> which are commonly used by federal, state, and local government agencies.

>> I know of at least one state agency that uses apublished integrity

>> test as part of the selection process for Toll Collectors.

>> Lance Seberhagen, Ph.D.

>> Seberhagen & Associates

>> 9021 Trailridge Court

>> Vienna, VA 22182

>> 703-790-0796

>> www.seberhagen.com <http://www.seberhagen.com>

>> On 1/4/2014 1:30 PM, Harry Brull (OCE) wrote:

>>> Without beating a dead horse – PDI’s Employment Inventory (EI) is a

>>> measure of conscientious work behaviors – as such, it predicts not

>>> only counter-productive behaviors – but such behaviors as

>>> productivity, attendance, adhering to safety rules (reducing

>>> workers’ comp claims), etc.

>>> The emphasis is on “screening in” not screening out. I’ve used it in

>>> the public sector for bus drivers, laborers, and firefighters.

>>> Harry Brull

>>> The last I looked, it had been administered to over 30 million

>>> applicants, with some public sector

>>> ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

>>> *Harry Brull, Senior Vice President*

>>> *PDI Ninth House, a Korn/Ferry Company*

>>> 8157 Buck Run

>>> Salida, CO 81201

>>> USA

>>> 1.612.414.8998 direct

>>> harry.brull at pdinh.com__

>>> *www.pdinh.com <http://www.pdinh.com/>*

>>> **

>>> **

>>> <http://www.pdinh.com/>

>>> <http://www.linkedin.com/company/pdi?trk=fc_badge%22%3e%3cimg><http://twitter.com/><http://www.facebook.com/PDINinthHouse><http://www.weibo.com/pdininthhouse><http://www.youtube.com/user/PDINinthHouse>

>>> sector

>>> Another thing to consider is the alternatives. If an organization is

>>> interested in reducing CWB, integrity tests are one of the most

>>> effective and least expensive selection tools for doing so.

>>> Regarding validity, a lively discussion was published in JAP (2012,

>>> 97/3), based on an updated meta-analysis by Van Iddekinge et al.

>>> While the prediction of overall job performance was brought into

>>> question, there seems to be a consensus opinion regarding integrity

>>> tests’ ability to predict CWB.

>>> Saul.

>>> Mark

>>> Harry.Brull at KornFerry.com <mailto:Harry.Brull at KornFerry.com> writes:

>>> Using the Employment incentory (EI), I have conducted validity

>>> studies for bus drivers (using criteria such as

>>> chargeable/non-chargeable accidents, workers’ comp claims,

>>> absenteeism, etc. with excellent results. A similar study for

>>> nursing assistants also produced high validities.

>>> I have also used measures of conscientiousness ( a more accurate

>>> nomenclature than integrity tests) for a relatively wide group

>>> of public sector positions including laborers and fire fighters.

>>> Labelling people as “failing an integrity test” is problematic.

>>> Given conscientiousness’s status as a big 5 personality

>>> characteristic – I prefer “demonstrating higher levels of

>>> conscientiousness”.

>>> Harry Brull

>>> This e-mail message is intended for the named recipient(s) and may

>>> contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt

>>> from disclosure under applicable law. Unauthorized disclosure,

>>> copying or re-transmission is prohibited. If you are not a named

>>> recipient or not authorized by the named recipient(s), or if you

>>> have received this e-mail in error, then please notify the sender

>>> immediately and delete the message and any copies.

>>> Ce courriel est destiné exclusivement au destinataire mentionné en

>>> titre et peut contenir de l'information privilégiée, confidentielle

>>> ou soustraite à la communication aux termes des lois applicables.

>>> Toute divulgation non autorisée, toute reproduction ou

>>> réacheminement est interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de

>>> ce courriel, ou n'êtes pas autorisé par le destinataire visé, ou

>>> encore, si vous l'avez reçu par erreur, veuillez le mentionner

>>> immédiatement à l'expéditeur et supprimer le courriel et les copies.

>>> IPAC-List