[IPAC-List] Session for IPAC? Communication of confidential materials over distances

RICHARD TONOWSKI RICHARD.TONOWSKI at EEOC.GOV
Thu Jan 16 16:08:57 EST 2014

I'm with Rene's slim majority regarding folks who would like to see more
information exchanged, particularly presentations and discussions from
conferences. I say this despite the great resource we already have in
archived conference material. My impression is that too many good ideas
don't get far beyond the room in which the presentation is made. That
hurts those of us who would love to attend but who don't have the
resources, or who simply can't get away from work.

My personal observations on secure transmittal are that a secure
website is very nice if the agency's got the resources. Who can be a
user is controlled, and so can what each user sees in the file
directory. Access can be granted at the folder level. Getting into the
system can be controlled so that the remote user needs VPN rather than
ordinary e-mail. Having a centralized repository cuts down on the
number of copies that might be made and then stored in less secure
circumstances. There's e-mail, with a secure system in addition to
encrypted and password-protected attachments. This is relatively easy
to implement, but there's the file proliferation problem. If an
electronic file has to be physically sent to a remote location, there
are encrypted flash drives. The IT folks here list certain types for
increased security; they're more expensive than what I use for
non-secure stuff.

Richard F. Tonowski, Ph.D., SPHR
Chief Psychologist
Office of General Counsel/Research and Analytic Services
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
131 M Street NE Room 5NW20S
Washington DC 20507-0001

Voice: (202) 663-4752
Fax: (202) 663-4196
E-mail: richard.tonowski at eeoc.gov>>> "Shekerjian, Rene"
<Rene.Shekerjian at cs.state.ny.us> 1/16/2014 9:52 AM >>>

It is of great interest to me and my organization. I probably won*t be
able to make it to the conference, but I would love to see the
presentation. Which raises a similar issue, some members (like me) find
it very difficult to get to the conferences. Some presenters put a
skeleton of an outline in their PowerPoint slides and provide nearly all
the information orally. Any chance we can ask presenters to provide as
much information in the slides as possible. And since that may violate
some presentation guidelines, e.g., don*t overwhelm your slides with
text, any chance we could ask them to prepare full slides that they
could then trim down for the in-person presentation?

It may be asking a lot, but as we move forward with fewer resources and
greater demand to do more with less (or less less with less?) it seems
that it would be beneficial to IPAC if we could find ways to share more
information with the members who can*t attend the conferences.

If I am in a slim majority, then I understand there may be little
benefit for this change. But if others are in my situation, or if IPAC
could attract people who don*t see much point in joining if they can*t
make it to the conferences, this might be beneficial to IPAC.

Which also reminds me, has the reminder to renew gone out? (I
apologize for diverting the discussion.)

Thanks,

René

René Shekerjian | Testing Services Division | NYS Department of Civil
Service | 518-402-2660