[IPAC-List] Question re: MQs

RICHARD TONOWSKI RICHARD.TONOWSKI at EEOC.GOV
Tue Jan 21 20:17:43 EST 2014

Bryan,

This may or may not answer your question.

There are two entries in the literature that I know of which reference
MQs in the public sector:

O’Leary, R.S., Pulakos, E.D., &
Linton, L.L. (2007). A method for developing content-valid
competency-based minimum qualifications. 31st Annual IPMAAC
Conference on Personnel Assessment. Retrieved from
http://annex.ipacweb.org/library/conf/07/oleary.pdf

Buster, M.A., Roth, P.L., & Bobko, P. (2005). A PROCESS FOR CONTENT
VALIDATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCED-BASED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: AN
APPROACH RESULTING IN FEDERAL COURT APPROVAL, Personnel Psychology, 58,
771-779.

I've seen reference to a MAPAC 2005 presentation by Will Martin, but I
haven't found it. That reference was in an IPMA-HR series (in the
second posting) at
http://asr.ipma-hr.org/2012/08/utilize-a-content-validity-strategy-to-establish-minimum-qualifications/

But to return to Dennis's question, what's "merit?" I have a vague
recollection of a court decision involving N.J. State Police with an
extended argument that merit = seniority. Whether that equation
encompasses "qualified" I leave to you.

I've recently seen a "merit" argument from another perspective, that
promotions should not depend upon just a civil service examination but
on the candidates' track records. This leads to discussion of
multi-component processes and the weighting of components, which is not
exactly MQ talk.

Like you, I'd argue that MQs by nature are a blunt instrument, more
suited to differentiating the clearly unqualified from the possibly
qualified.

Rich

>>> Bryan Baldwin <Bryan.Baldwin at doj.ca.gov> 01/21/14 7:05 PM >>>

No, I don’t believe so. “Merit” in this sense refers to the
decades-old concept that was put in place to remedy/avoid historical
civil service sins such as political patronage. It does, however,
encompass the concept of being “qualified”.