[IPAC-List] Question re: MQs

Jeff Feuquay jfeuquay at psychlawcenter.com
Wed Jan 22 11:42:00 EST 2014

Hard to fault Dennis' thought that merit is often operationally defined as
high score on a test. However, it's also a spectacularly circular
definition, unless one can demonstrate that the test reflects/predicts some
important aspect of job performance. And, there's the rub. We seem to have
problems defining or describing or agreeing to what's important on the job.
. . widget production, not irritating co-workers, initiative,
representation of the populace, friend of the administration, remaining
awake.

When teaching an HR class at a regional university many years ago, I was
asked what good job analysis does. I had difficulty getting its value
through to the student. But, this may be it - job analysis tells us what
merit means in a particular job and in a particular environment. Yes, yes,
a fire fighter is a fire fighter on most elements of the job, but local
subtleties can mean the difference between success and failure, i.e., merit.

Jeff
Dr. Jeffrey P Feuquay, I/O Psychologist & Attorney
Director, Psychology-Law Center, LLC and
Special Counsel to Russell, Brown & Breckenridge, LLC
108 W. Walnut, PO Box 376, Nevada, MO 64772
ofc: 417-667-5076 fax: 417-667-3013