[IPAC-List] Question re: MQs

Cooksey, Brett Brett.Cooksey at pbjcal.org
Thu Jan 23 12:38:54 EST 2014

MQs may differ in their ability to accurately identify whether someone
has Merit, or is "qualified", based on 2 different factors:

1. What type of MQ being used? For example, the Point methods seem to
offer very low predictive value, in contrast to the higher validity
coefficients of the Behavioral Consistency method (Schneider, 1994).

2. Did the individual gain skill from the training and/or work
experience required by the MQs? This can be affected by individual
differences in cognitive ability, situational characteristics such as
opportunity to perform tasks, and motivation to pursue opportunities
(McGonigle and Curnow, 2007). Some of this variation might be reduced
by developing MQs at the task, rather than job or organizational level.

Due to the small number of predictive validation studies conducted on
MQs, the information cited from the Schneider article should be
interpreted with caution.

Schneider, R. T. (1994). The rating of experience and training: A review
of the literature and recommendations on the use of alternative E & T
procedures. International Personnel Management Association Assessment
Council.

McGonigle, T. P., & Curnow, C. K. (2007). Measures of Training and
Experience. Wheaton, GR (2007). Applied measurement: Industrial
Psychology in Human Resources Management. Routledge.[Links].