[IPAC-List] Question re: MQs

Bryan Baldwin Bryan.Baldwin at doj.ca.gov
Fri Jan 24 10:05:41 EST 2014

Good points. I don't necessarily disagree that MQs are bad per se. But how many MQs are developed using sufficient rigor? How many are truly minimums versus "nice to have"s? And to the extent we use them as an administrative convenience, is that the right decision tool, or should concerns about getting the right person trump? Or avoiding discrimination?

Just my observation here, but from what I've seen we (the public sector at least, and I think we could have a whole other conversation about how the private sector deals with this, e.g., UIT) do a much better job at developing traditional exams based on job analytic information. The MQs, which strangely may be the most important step in selecting out, for some reason are treated less...seriously.

To your accounting example, could someone not gain the requisite background through other means, such as self-study or experience? Yes, most MQs have substitution patterns, but now we're acknowledging that people can come at this from various points in life. Rather than trying to imagine all the ways someone could qualify, would it not be better to place the emphasis on performance during the exam? Insofar as there is a concern about luck, that may be a pass point issue.

Obviously just throwing things out here...

Bryan