[IPAC-List] Question re: MQs

keith.poole at phoenix.gov keith.poole at phoenix.gov
Fri Jan 24 12:02:22 EST 2014

I think Rene really hit the nail on the head, to continue the carpentry
analogy, MQs probably aren't pretty for I/O psych experts, but they work.
The reason I think the public sector is so in love with MQs (and basic
content validity in general) at least for local government, is that they
are sustainable. It's really cheap and quick and most people accept it
(supervisors and applicants), and it can applied very quickly to a wide
variety of jobs with the number of staff you have. Almost any HRIS has
an MQ screening tool without any real customization needed. There are far
better and more powerful selection tools, but there aren't the resources
to implement them system wide. At best, we may use these much better
tests and tools for a hand full of titles but that's about it. I'm
looking at our list of job titles posted this week, it ranges from arts &
culture administrator, to building code examiner, forensic scientist, a
variety of really specific IT jobs, 911 operator, supplies clerk, civil
engineer, life guards, etc. How many private sector companies have that
diverse a line of businesses and are staffed like we are? I get it why,
say, Target Corp can develop a really kick ass selection tool for customer
service rep or FedEx for drivers...when you've developed it for 1 store,
you've really developed it for 2,000 stores. I'm not trying to set the
bar low here, that's why we're all part of IPAC and test item banks like
WRIB or CODESP...we are trying to set standards higher and think of
smarter ways to select, but the reality is you must accept MQ's as your
friend in this industry, and fine tune and nudge higher from there.

Keith Poole
Human Resources Supervisor
City of Phoenix HR Department
135 N 2nd Ave