[IPAC-List] Brief description of type 3 and type 4 errors in hypotheis testing.

Joel Wiesen jwiesen at appliedpersonnelresearch.com
Sun Feb 9 10:24:16 EST 2014

FYI-

http://magazine.amstat.org/blog/2014/02/01/mastersfeb2014/

"A type III error occurs when the statistician offers the correct
statistical advice for the wrong research question."

"...type IV errors: when a statistician performs the correct analysis
that answers the right research questions when a simpler analysis would
suffice. Why is a type IV error something to worry about? If the
statistics are correct, isn’t our job done? The issue is that when
statisticians commit type IV errors, we are potentially alienating the
client from the collaborative relationship and giving them results they
cannot use."

--
Joel P. Wiesen, Ph.D., Director
Applied Personnel Research

Note: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and/or
legally privileged information. Please do not forward any contents
without permission. If you have received this message in error please
destroy all copies, completely remove it from your computer, and notify
the sender. Thank you.