[IPAC-List] Essay computer based testing: Seeking thoughts on dealing with computer glitches

Dennis Doverspike dennisdoverspike at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:48:59 EDT 2014

Yes to the disappearing. Over the years, various organizations I have been
associated with have put into place different protections against that
happening, such as having all data go to a server, or be downloaded to a
server right after completion, or copying to a flash or other drive, or
other redundancies. That requires taking a server and setting it up at
remote testing sites, and even then you can run into unique technical
problems.

I have an individual assessment story I tell (which is less of a concern
than the typical high stakes testing situation). At the time I was using
tests from a national vendor and if at the end of the test you hit one
particular button on the keyboard, then your whole test would disappear -
not sure why the vendor had that protection, I believe to keep candidates
from accessing their own score reports or messing with their own files -
but be that as it may. Anyway, I would warn the candidates repeatedly, no
matter what you do at the end of the test, do not hit the XX button,
whatever the button was. Of course, one curious candidate wanted to see if
his file would really get deleted if he hit the XX button. Of course, he
hit it and his test got deleted. So he had to retake the whole hour long
test.

Never had a candidate try to con with such a claim.

Dennis

--
Dennis Doverspike, PhD., ABPP
Licensed Psychologist, #3539 (OHIO)
dennisdoverspike at gmail.com

The information is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential, privileged and/or a work product
for the sole use of the intended recipient. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive this message
in error, please destroy all copies of it and notify the sender. If the
communication is strictly prohibited. In the case of E-mail or electronic
transmission, immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system
and notify the sender. E-mail and fax transmission cannot be guaranteed to
be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.