[IPAC-List] Value of cognitive ability testing for Journey-Level skilled trade jobs

Reindl, Kevin K1RQ at pge.com
Tue Mar 15 19:27:59 EDT 2016

Thanks Lance for the insights. There are a fair number of experienced folks who fail the cognitive test (spatial/numerical), and interestingly, this set of candidates actually fail at a higher rate than our general applicant population for these jobs. The reality is that our hiring managers and even our HR team is starting to question the value of a test when experienced, presumably successful performers cannot pass.  There are several theories about why these folks are failing including:

*         Test is not valid (although we have evidence saying otherwise)

*         Because many of these candidates are heavily recruited, they may not be taking the test seriously (e.g., "if you really want me to work for you, why are you giving me this test to pass?")

*         Many of these candidates are older and may not be used to taking tests (we have evidence saying otherwise)

*         Since these candidates are experienced, and may not have been screened on these skills previously, perhaps they have learned to "compensate" for lack of these skills on the job and still perform successfully
My hunch is that it may be a combination of different factors...but we may never know without doing some controlled research.

There is minimal cost, and little time savings by eliminating, so it is not an efficiency/cost issue. The issues are around 1) the test screening out candidates a large number of candidates who we've sourced/recruited because of their experience, 2) the job is difficult to fill because of the low supply/high demand, and 3) the test being viewed as a "basic skills test" being used for highly skilled/technical/experienced candidates.

Kevin Reindl
Human Resources
Assessments and Organizational Insights