[IPAC-List] Michael McDaniel's Reference to the so-called Validity-Diversity Dilemma

Lance Seberhagen sebe at erols.com
Sun Jun 5 12:21:32 EDT 2016

Hi Richard:

PRDC did not publicize them very well, but PRDC produced wonderful
research reports on employment testing and related topics.  These
reports were based on good science, and I always updated my collection
whenever I visited PRDC.  However, PRDC's job element method of job
analysis was not good science.  The job element method was unreliable
because failed to link tasks to KSAs, as well as collect date from
independent sources, as demonstrated by PRDC's ill-fated New York State
Police exam.  NYS contracted with PRDC to develop the exam.  PRDC
attempted to develop a content valid exam using the job element method.
SMEs (state troopers) wanted to keep women out of their ranks, so they
created bogus KSAs (e.g., ability to shoot a shotgun over the roof of a
police car) to screen out women.  PRDC incorporated many of these bogus
KSAs into the exam because the job element method failed to catch them.
As a result, the federal court threw out the exam because it had high
adverse impact and no validity, in violation of Title VII.  It was a
valuable lesson for all I/Os.  KSAs should be linked to observable work
behavior (e.g., job tasks), and a multi-method approach is best to
ensure reliable job analysis results.

Lance S.

---