[IPAC-List] Differential prediction generalization: a new concept

Winfred Arthur, Jr. w-arthur at tamu.edu
Fri Sep 30 12:14:28 EDT 2016

so Joel, a contrarian view  :)   of course the question is "in science
are we trying to describe, explain, and predict phenomena at the level
of individual cases (and by inference individual studies) or as they
broadly exist in the population?"  if the former, then we shld give
strong deference to case studies [and primary studies] and that shld be
our primary methodology; if the latter, then we are going to have to use
and rely on population parameters (based on aggregates) from which
(some) individual cases [studies] by definition will vary.  so variation
in the primary studies that are included in a meta-analysis is nothing
new; indeed that is the very issue meta-analysis is trying to address .
. . is there any variation, is it real or artifactual, and if it is
real, what is the cause (moderators)?  so in a domain in which there is
as much overprediction as underprediction, the question is, is this
random or systematic error (variation)?  that is the question  :)

- winfred