[IPAC-List] Promotional Preference Points

Demooy, Adele DemooyA at mwrd.org
Tue Jan 10 13:05:49 EST 2017

We are exploring the possibility of awarding promotional points to current employees when they take a test on an original entrance basis.  This scoring would be used on tests for entry-level classifications when there is no job classification in the line of promotion to the classification being tested.

When subordinate classifications in the line of promotion do exist, examinations are offered on an Original Entrance and Promotional basis and a portion of the final score for promotional candidates includes points for seniority and  efficiency (most recent performance rating).  In these cases, two separate eligible lists are produced (one Original Entrance and one Promotional) with the promotional list candidates getting first consideration for appointment.

We are looking into this as a way to provide opportunities for employee advancement in the organization.  If anyone has a practice such as this, or any other promotional examination policies, we would be interested to learn more.