[IPAC-List] calculating turnover

Kevin Stanek stane040 at umn.edu
Mon Oct 9 20:21:29 EDT 2017

Hi Megan,

You're right that the typical turnover rate is an approximation and
therefore it's interpretation is muddy (i.e., it's not the proportion of
employees you had that left). I'd suggest an approach closer to survival
analysis: number of termination events divided by the total number of
termination opportunities employees had (i.e., days each person was
employed during the period). Building on your example:

If an organization has 100 employees present for 200 days, and
50 of those employees present for 100 more days (assuming for simplicity's
sake the other 50 terminate all on day 200), and
50 new hires all made on day 300 and who stayed for 65 more days, then

the turnover rate for the year would be 50 terms/(100*200+50*100+50*65)=0.2%
As you can see, this new metric is not directly comparable to a
typical/approximated turnover rate, which makes it hard to externally
benchmark (you probably shouldn't trust external benchmarks too much
anyways since there are many variations on the turnover rate calculation,
such as excluding employees on LOA, using just the year-end headcount
instead of the average, including interns or fixed term employees, etc.).
On the other hand, the above-proposed method is more accurate, because it
reflects exactly *how many opportunities to terminate were taken
(numerator) compared to how many opportunities to terminate occurred
(denominator)*.

Another alternative that is more comparable to (but also more accurate
than) the typical 'average headcount' method is to look at the daily
turnover rates and sum those across all the days in your time period of
interest. For example, on January 1 if 2 employees terminate and the
headcount that day was 100 employees (i.e., 100 could have terminated) the
daily turnover rate would be 2%, on January 2 if 4 employees terminate and
the headcount that day was 120 the daily turnover rate would be 3.3%, etc.
You then sum these daily turnover rates across the time period you're
interested in (e.g., 365 days to get an annual turnover rate). This rate
only differs from the typical 'average headcount' method if you have
significant fluctuations in headcount within-month (and it has problems
similar to the typical 'average headcount' method, such as sometimes
providing turnover rates > 100%). This method only differs from the method
described above because it essentially averages the daily headcount in the
denominator, whereas the method above sums the daily headcounts (since each
employee each day has an opportunity to terminate).

Hope this helps,
Kevin