[IPAC-List] Where to recruit black applicants for police officer?

mhammer at 295.ca mhammer at 295.ca
Wed Jun 5 13:45:01 EDT 2019

Nicely put, Glen.  It's one of the ongoing and eternal conundrums of
diversity recruitment: you can throw the doors as wide open as you can,
but you can't make everyone WANT the jobs you have to offer.  And as you
rightly note, one of the hurdles to be cleared is what people think about
the social role equated with those jobs.

I guess the question that prompts is whether it is sufficient to re-brand
the job/role in recruitment efforts so that prospective recruits can begin
to think of it differently and maybe find it more appealing (e.g., the way
that the military has included images of engineering roles in their
recruitment ads), or whether those efforts will be moot in the face of
deeply entrenched perceptions by one community about another.  I.E., do
you have to change the police, and their concomitant public reputation,
before you can get people interested in policing jobs?  I don't have an
answer for that one, but it bears pondering.

Mark Hammer