[IPAC-List] Micro-survey on alternative terms for "cognitive ability"

mhammer at 295.ca mhammer at 295.ca
Tue Jun 23 13:37:20 EDT 2020

I think the qualification that "softens" the statement in quotes is not so
much a replacement for the term "cognitive ability", but rather a
qualification of the tests themselves.

Most people will have no quarrel with the idea of intelligence, cognitive
ability, or any of a host of terms for human "thinkyness".  We use such
terms to describe people in daily life, often in derogatory ways, and
sometimes in complimentary ways.  It's a lay universal.  At issue is the
conceptual validity and accuracy of the measurement tool, rather than what
it purports to measure.  If I say "tests of", there is a subtext or
connotation of certainty, and I think that's what someone might object to.

In which case, does the qualifier "psychometric tests" or "standardized
tests" soften things appropriately and acceptably, since it suggests that
cognitive ability, reasoning, intelligence, or whatever the heck sits
under the skull is being measured from a given perspective?  Once we say a
*kind* of test, that removes some of the unspoken inference that the test
is the absolute indisputable measure.

Sometimes it's the adjective, not the noun.  Is that response alternative
#5, Joel?

Regards to all,
Mark Hammer
Ottawa