[IPAC-List] Relations between community and police: How can we help?

Joel Wiesen jwiesen at appliedpersonnelresearch.com
Tue Jun 30 17:54:05 EDT 2020

Seeking suggestions of things that we could do to improve the
relationship between communities and the police departments that serve them.

(Interpret this broadly, to include psychometric, HR, and general
management/administration domains.)

For example, I have used community representatives as members of oral
boards for selection and promotion in public safety departments.  I did
this years ago, but it worked well then.

A presumed benefit of such involvement is that the community is invested
in the development of the selection/promotion criteria and in the
evaluation of individual candidates, and that makes it harder for the
community to criticize the officers in the future.

Take care,
Joel

--
Joel P. Wiesen, Ph.D., Director
Applied Personnel Research

Continuing Education website (home study of recent journal articles): https://www.aprtestingservice.com/

Note: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. Please do not forward any contents without permission. If you have received this message in error please destroy all copies, completely remove it from your computer, and notify the sender. Thank you.