[IPAC-List] Data Entry Testing

Blair, Michael Michael.Blair2 at opm.gov
Tue May 18 14:16:56 EDT 2021

Denise –

Building on Dennis’s response, the Uniform Guidelines on Employee Selection Procedures (https://www.uniformguidelines.com/) do not require validated selection procedures to be used. The user (in this case, most likely the agency, the state, or both) is only required to produce evidence of validity if the selection procedure has adverse impact and, by corollary,  the procedure is challenged. This is the stick approach – use validated tests as a measure of protection, in the event the test is challenged. However, from the business side, there is another very good reason to use validated selection procedures – these procedures predict things like job performance, retention, etc.

Basically, I agree with Dennis. My added caveat is that validated tests may end up solving the problem the managers are trying to address. Picking a test of the shelf because it sounds good is just as likely to cause more harm than good in terms of prediction, while also resulting in adverse impact and subsequent challenges.

Michael D. Blair
Lead Personnel Research Psychologist
United States Office of Personnel Management