[IPAC-List] Job analysis approaches for police roles

Morry, Glen Glen.Morry at rcmp-grc.gc.ca
Fri Apr 8 08:53:02 EDT 2022

The RCMP has been using the Functional Job Analysis process (Sidney Fine) for analyzing its police roles. Because of the level of detail provided on the working conditions, outputs/tasks, knowledge, skills, abilities and performance standards required for the job, these "Task Banks" form the basis for determining training requirements, establishing medical profiles, and deciding on workplace accommodations that might be possible for a given position.

The RCMP used to have several I-O Psychologists in-house who were certified to conduct FJA, but this is no longer the case, and it is a challenge to find external resources with this specific skillset. Consequently, we are exploring potential alternatives to FJA, and hence the reason for this email. We are wondering what job analysis approaches/tools are being used in other jurisdictions for police / public safety roles, and especially approaches that drill down to the level required to establish vision and hearing standards, physical/stamina requirements etc.

Thanks,

Glen

Glen Morry, MASc
Royal Canadian Mounted Police