[Hackrf-dev] Transmitting test signals

McDonald, J Douglas jdmcdona at illinois.edu
Fri Oct 30 08:57:15 EDT 2020

Right at the first I bought a HackRF. It sort of worked.

But I never succeeded in getting it to, usefully, do what I bought it for, transmitting test signals of my own design.

What I want to do is trivial: generate an array in memory using a straightforward C (hopefully NOT the cumbersome C++) program, then either repeatedly and seamlessly send it to the
HackRF. Seamlessly means that to runs over and over forever, the end connecting seamlessly
to the start of the file. I would like to get at least 8 MHz of unaliased spectrum, though 10 would be better.

I never got it to work seamlessly.

This would NOT use any oddball stuff like Python or Linux, just plain
ordinary C on a plain ordinary Windows 10 PC.  I tried on Linux with the sort of "system" that uses Python and its hoplelessly klunky. Especially since there is no documentation.
If I am forced to communicate with a "driver" I need good documentation, otherwise, its magic which I don't seem adept at.

It tried lots of things including a Windows device driver I found, but while it sort of worked,
for a while, it always started stuttering.  I can get receive to work in the same bandwidth
no problem. But I never expected the HackRF to work as a receiver with only
8 bits ... not enough dynamic range. 8 bits is of course perfectly fine for test signals.

Its been a while since I sent a message like this. Advice is needed in email, at least how to
contact this help group and its archives if there are answers already.

Doug McDonald
jdmcdona at illinois.edu