[IPAC-List] differential validity?

Patrick McCoy Patrick.McCoy at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Tue Mar 17 12:30:42 EDT 2009

Hello Joel:

The following article might be of relevance to your question.:

Sackett, P.R., Laczo, R.M., & Lippe, Z. (2003). Differential prediction
and the use of multiple predictors: The omitted variables problem. JAP,
88(6), 1046-1056.

Patrick McCoy, Ph.D.
Ottawa', Canada

>>> Joel Wiesen <wiesen at personnelselection.com> 16/03/2009 8:26 am >>>

What do you think of this apparent support for differential validity
(from a recent Personnel Psych article)?

Might it imply that education is problematic as selection tool when the

applicant group includes minorities and/or women? Would it imply that

an education requirement may be unfair to minorities and/or women?

Joel

"Finally, Hypothesis 6 predicted that the education-performance
relationship will be stronger for men (vs. women; Hypothesis 6a) and
for
Caucasians (vs. non-Caucasians; Hypothesis 6b). With respect to the
relationship between education level and task performance, we found
that
the relationship was more positive for Caucasians than for other racial

groups and for men than for women. Further, we found that the
relationship between education and OCB was more positive for Caucasians

than for other racial groups. These results provide some support for
Hypothesis 6a and Hypothesis 6b."

From:
PERSONNEL PSYCHOLOGY, 2009, 62, 89–134
HOW BROADLY DOES EDUCATION CONTRIBUTE TO JOB PERFORMANCE?
THOMAS W. H. NG; University of Hong Kong
DANIEL C. FELDMAN; University of Georgia

IPAC-List at ipacweb.org