[IPAC-List] differential validity? Fake Degrees

Patrick McCoy Patrick.McCoy at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Thu Mar 19 09:15:57 EDT 2009

If I remember correctly, it has been estimated that approximately 25
percent of resumés contain serious distortion. I believe that figure
comes from Mike Aamodt

Aamodt, M. (2003). How common is resumé fraud? Assessment Council News,
February, p.6-7.

Patrick McCoy, Ph.D.
Ottawa, Canada

>>> "Mark Hammer" <Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca> 19/03/2009 9:03 am >>>

Good point Dennis.

I don't know if I'd label it a "problem" as such, but in an era where
more and more initial screening is being turned over to machines and
other superficial filters, there is certainly *concern* over the
validity of claimed educational credentials. As for data, I seem to
recall hearing something once about some percentage of falsely claimed
degrees, but I don't remember either the number or the source, so I'll
stay mute on the topic.

I will only add that when it comes to e-mail spam, I'm having a
difficult time choosing whether I want to spend my money on Nigerian
bureaucrats, cheap "potency" drugs, or purchasable degrees that will
supposedly expedite my career movement. They all seem to ring my
doorbell on a regular basis. I tell you, Dennis, between longer
erections, shorter Ph.D.s, and kindness to fellow public servants in
developing nations around the world, I'm frozen at the choice-point!

Mark

>>> "Dennis Doverspike " <dd1 at uakron.edu> 2009/03/18 10:31 pm >>>

And sometimes an education is not an education at all.

A couple of years ago there was a GAO report on the number of fake
degrees
among high ranking executives in the federal government. I do not know
if
any further reports were ever released or if there was any final
reporting
of data.

Does anyone have any current information on the prevelance of fake
degrees?

Anyway, for Mark, I was wondering if this was a problem in Canada as
well
and if there was any data?

Dennis Doverspike, Ph.D., ABPP
Professor of Psychology
Director, Center for Organizational Research
Senior Fellow of the Institute for Life-Span Development and
Gerontology
Psychology Department
University of Akron
Akron, Ohio 44325-4301
330-972-8372 (Office)
330-972-5174 (Office Fax)
ddoverspike at uakron.edu

The information is intended only for the person or entity to which it
is
addressed and may contain confidential, privileged and/or a work
product for
the sole use of the intended recipient. No confidentiality or
privilege is
waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive this message
in
error, please destroy all copies of it and notify the sender. If the
reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that
strictly
prohibited. In the case of E-mail or electronic transmission,
immediately
delete it and all copies of it from your system and notify the sender.
E-mail and fax transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late
or incomplete, or contain viruses.