[IPAC-List] differential validity? Fake Degrees

Mitch Stein Mitch.Stein at state.tn.us
Thu Mar 19 09:34:31 EDT 2009

To me its not just the fake, unaccredited diploma mills which are the problem. I taught a few statistics courses in an MBA program at one of these schools that have set up shop all over the country, and finally quit, feeling that the place was little better than a diploma mill. Maybe it was just that one campus. I was teaching both basic and advanced stat courses, but I was not allowed to give tests (everything was writing papers about their life experience) and not allowed to use or require any math! Duh!

Having previously taught stat to grad students at a major university, I was not prepared for the culture I encountered. When it came to writing papers about a third of the students were functionally illiterate (and these were supposed to all be college grads) and could not write a coherent English sentence. Students were used to getting all of their "class participation points" even when they didn't come to class, and they were even more shocked when it became clear I actually expected them to read the textbook, actually graded their papers, and filed complaints of plagiarism when multiple students turned in identical papers (in one case, the guilty student even forgot to take the author's name off the paper and replace it with her own...twice). Part of the problem was the lax standards other faculty used, who seemed to be more concerned with being popular than expecting students to learn anything. If it had been just me, one might think I was just some hard teacher, but my department chair experienced the same thing and we both quit in disgust at about the same time.

cheers,
Mitch

Mitchell Stein, PhD
Human Resources Research Psychologist
TN Dept. of Human Resources
(615) 532-8069

>>> "Dennis Doverspike " <dd1 at uakron.edu> 2009/03/18 10:31 pm >>>

And sometimes an education is not an education at all.

A couple of years ago there was a GAO report on the number of fake degrees
among high ranking executives in the federal government. I do not know if
any further reports were ever released or if there was any final reporting
of data.

Does anyone have any current information on the prevelance of fake degrees?

Anyway, for Mark, I was wondering if this was a problem in Canada as well
and if there was any data?

Dennis Doverspike, Ph.D., ABPP
Professor of Psychology
Director, Center for Organizational Research
Senior Fellow of the Institute for Life-Span Development and Gerontology
Psychology Department
University of Akron
Akron, Ohio 44325-4301
330-972-8372 (Office)
330-972-5174 (Office Fax)
ddoverspike at uakron.edu

The information is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential, privileged and/or a work product for
the sole use of the intended recipient. No confidentiality or privilege is
waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive this message in
error, please destroy all copies of it and notify the sender. If the reader
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. In the case of E-mail or electronic transmission, immediately
delete it and all copies of it from your system and notify the sender.
E-mail and fax transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
or incomplete, or contain viruses.