[IPAC-List] Does the day you take an oral exam matter?

Richard Joines mpscorp at value.net
Wed Apr 1 12:57:44 EDT 2009

Dear Elizabeth:

I dealt with such a challenge to a Fire Battalion Chief exam conducted many
years ago for the City of San Francisco. We tested about 80 candidates over
a five day period of time. Candidates took an LGD as part of their
assessment. The challenge was to the effect that those candidates going
later in the process would naturally score better since friends who went
earlier would tell them the discussion problems. Thus, the issue is whether
or not prior knowledge of the oral exam content will result in higher
scores.

While I believe that prior knowledge may help in many types of situations,
my findings indicated that prior knowledge did not help in the LGD process.
Candidates had been randomly assigned to one of five days for the
assessment. In such cases, I believe you can run T tests for mean score
differences between groups, or just run a one way ANOVA to determine if any
differences exist, then do your post hoc tests. I didn't find any
differences and the challenge was not upheld.

However, I found that candidate perceptions on this issue are quite strong,
so I have avoided this approach ever since just for practical reasons. If I
can administer the oral component to all candidates on the same day, and
administratively ensure that those who have not yet tested cannot contact
those who have completed the process (i.e., by putting all in a holding room
until their turn), that's what I do.

Again, without knowing the exact oral process you used, I can't formulate an
opinion on whether or not prior knowledge of the process or content of the
exercise would likely affect score outcomes. It's something to be concerned
about, naturally. It really comes down to how you score the exercise and
the extent to which knowledge rather than skill impacts the scores that are
assigned. In the case of the LGD, the results indicated that prior
knowledge of the discussion problems did not affect the leadership and
problem analysis and oral communication ratings that we made. I tend to
believe that prior knowledge would have a greater impact on structured
interview results than on role-plays, but that may not be the case if your
structured interview is based on candidate reports of prior accomplishments.

Good luck,
Richard Joines
Management & Personnel Systems, Inc.