[IPAC-List] Does the day you take an oral exam matter? -Killingthe Mess...

Richard R. Carter rrcarter at cityofno.com
Thu Apr 2 11:50:28 EDT 2009

If I might try to summarize:

1. The original question concerned test-taking order of two types of
testing: a. situational role plays and b. structured interviews. My
assumption was that the question arose from questions of test security.
That is, earlier tested individuals may have the opportunity to share
information with those tested later in the process.

2. With structured interviews, the consensus seems to be that the more
information shared with the candidates, the better. This strategy
eliminates this source of distrust among test-takers. (I'm on-board
with that).

3. With situational role plays designed to measure needed competencies,
including job knowledge, it seems that most would agree that providing
the test ahead of time is not recommended. In this case, a candidate
orientation to explain what to expect while being tested, including the
competencies measured, should help with candidate acceptance. (I'm good
with that one too).

4. When using situational role plays and not sharing the test with all
ahead of time, there is still no actual evidence of cheating when a test
is administered over a number of days.

5. This lack of evidence does not always translate into wide-spread
candidate acceptance in this specific situation. Test takers are
distrustful, to some degree, of test makers, those making hiring
decisions, and others with whom they are competing.

In the original example, I think that candidates are MOSTLY concerned
with those who have already taken the test - those with whom they are
competing for promotion. There have been a few suggestions offered to
deal with this particular source of distrust.

Perhaps, making more well-known to candidates the results of the studies
that Chris mentioned regarding the lack of evidence of a "day tested"
effect, would be another method of addressing this concern.

There are likely more research opportunities in this are and definitive
guidance would be welcomed by all.

Rick Carter