[IPAC-List] Problems with FDNY testing

Richard Arwood richard.arwood at comcast.net
Tue Apr 21 14:26:14 EDT 2009

See the link for a fuller picture, but I have wondered for years how they
manage to get away with standardized multiple-choice testing as a sole
selection method (and I think that was what this was).

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04192009/news/regionalnews/big_f_on_emt_advancem
ent_exam_165135.htm

Here are the opening few paragraphs:

It was a massive medical failure for hundreds of FDNY medics who hoped to
get promoted, as a measly eight out of 721 city Emergency Medical Service
workers passed the most recent lieutenant exam.

The 1.1 percent pass rate for the 2008 test is about 38 percentage points
lower than the last time the exam was given, in 2004, when 1,044 medics took
the test and 409, or 39 percent, passed, The Post has learned.

The FDNY was at a loss to explain how so many medics bombed the test.

In any case, I love retirement!!!!

Richard Arwood, Fire Chief (retired) -Memphis, TN

Collierville, TN