[IPAC-List] Problems with FDNY testing

Arbel, Eran Eran_Arbel at sheriff.org
Tue Apr 21 14:46:48 EDT 2009

I worked several years for the department in charge of the New York's
civil service tests. Promotional tests are multiple choice (what other
choice do you have to test 721 candidates). Based on my experience there
are a few possible explanations for this outcome:
1) The candidates did not study.
2) There was additional study material added to the testing material
which was not present in previous tests
3) The panel that conducted the review process did not review the
questions properly for relevance.
4) The arbitrary 70% pass point (a matter of civil service law) is not
realistic for this type of test.

A review of the score distribution and proper item analysis might give
some more answers regarding who or what might be the real culprit in
this situation, something I'm sure the department has done and the
reporters never ask about.

Eran Arbel, MS, SPHR
Human Resources Analyst - Selection & Assessment
Broward Sheriff's Office Human Resources Bureau
Phone: (954) 321-4408
Fax: (954) 321-4431