[IPAC-List] Performance Appraisal Likert Scales

Jason Bowling jbowling at ssvec.com
Thu May 28 11:40:13 EDT 2009

Hello all,

Does anyone know of research into Performance Appraisal Scales? Is there
an ideal/industry standard scale size?

Currently we use a 3-point scale (does not meet, meets, and exceeds
expectations). This short scale is great for inter-rater reliability,
but it seems to me, it sacrifices capturing the variability in
performance. Only in extreme situations do we see folks departing from
the default "Meets expectations."

Beyond just rating the performance of individuals, I would like to
assess the predictive validity of our hiring processes. Without much
variation, PA scores are practically orthogonal to all selection
measurements we use.

This is just one aspect of our PA system I am evaluating, but I cannot
find literature on the topic.

Regards,

Jason Bowling, PHR

Human Resources Manager

S.S.V.E.C

Ofc: 520.515.3480

Cel: 520.220.6563

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential
and may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the
sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation.