[IPAC-List] selection validation question

Megan Paul mpaul2 at unlserve.unl.edu
Thu May 28 17:48:46 EDT 2009

A few points of clarification...

I have every reason to believe that this measure will *not* result in
adverse impact, but I support following the Uniform Guidelines as a
matter of good practice. I'm just not sure I understand / agree with the
interpretation I'm being given.

I definitely understand the importance of an updated job analysis, and
it is likely that we will update the previous one ourselves (the biggest
issue is convincing the agency to give us SME time). What I mostly
question is the insistence on all the validity generalization work as a
precursor to the criterion-related validation, and I definitely don't
see where it's "required" by the Guidelines.

The following paragraph from the UG applies to this particular test, so
content validity isn't going to be sufficient:
"A selection procedure based upon inferences about mental processes
cannot be supported solely or primarily on the basis of content
validity. Thus, a content strategy is not appropriate for demonstrating
the validity of selection procedures which purport to measure traits or
constructs, such as intelligence, aptitude, personality, commonsense,
judgment, leadership, and spatial ability."

The test would be used in conjunction with several other selection tools
that measure many other KSAs, so it does not need to "do it all."

--
Megan E. Paul, Ph.D.
Research Assistant Professor

(402) 472-9812 Office