[IPAC-List] selection validation question

Pluta, Paul ppluta at hr.lacounty.gov
Thu May 28 15:47:29 EDT 2009

Megan,

The first question I would ask is to what extent you expect the test to
result in adverse impact. If a test does not result in adverse impact,
you are free to do pretty much whatever you want and it all boils down
to utility. If it can be reasonably expected to result in adverse
impact, then you will have to get your ducks in a row.

If you have a previous job analysis study on file, you might just do a
quick review with a panel of SMEs to update it to reflect the changes to
the work, and document the procedure used and results obtained. Then,
just map the test onto the KSAs identified in the JA and you're pretty
much home free. The criterion-related evidence is really just icing on
the cake because the content validity evidence should provide sufficient
support in most cases.

It sounds like your "nameless" consultants are just trying to hand you
the old mechanics line that you need a rebuild when all you really need
is an overhaul. IMHO

Paul E. Pluta, ABD, SPHR
Human Resources Analyst III
Los Angeles County Department of Human Resources
Workforce Planning, Test Research, & Appeals Division