[IPAC-List] selection validation question

Jim Kuthy jkuthy at biddle.com
Thu May 28 18:55:30 EDT 2009

Dear Paul:

I suggest you look at Section 14B3 of the federal Uniform Guidelines on
Employee Selection Procedures concerning the need for a job analysis. It
states "certain criteria may be used without a full job analysis if the
user can show the importance of the criteria to the particular
employment context. These criteria include but are not limited to
production rate, error rate, tardiness, absenteeism, and length of
service. A standardized rating of overall work performance may be used
where a study of the job shows that it is an appropriate criterion."
Thus, if you employ some types of commonly-used criteria a full job
analysis would not be required.

You might also look to Section 7B relating to transporting
criteria-related validity from other locations.

(Of course it is better to perform a job analysis; but it is not always
required for criteria-related studies).

Jim Kuthy, Ph.D.
Principal Consultant
Biddle Consulting Group, Inc.