[IPAC-List] selection validation question

Blair, Michael D[EQ] Michael.D.Blair at Embarq.com
Thu May 28 18:31:57 EDT 2009

Megan -

I concur with Paul regarding the necessary validity evidence (see my previous response for more detail). Call your consultant out if he/she continues to insist on a VG or transportability study. It is not needed if you have sufficient local criterion-related validity evidence and would be a waste of time and money. I'm actually somewhat surprised. When I was in consulting, we always preferred a criterion-related validity study. Not only does it typically provide more work/revenue for the consultant, but the results can be folded into existing data to further support the VG and transportability argument for future clients.

Paul and I seem to disagree regarding adverse-impact being the only consideration on whether or not to conduct a validity study. For me, confirming validity is not an option. However, this is a debate for another day (I suspect that we are actually a lot closer on this point than it may appear).

Bottom line - you are right to question your consultant and the logic/reason behind criterion-validity being the dessert when you are offering it as the main course.

Michael D. Blair
Manager, Recruitment, Selection & Assessment
EMBARQ
Voice: 913-345-6334 | Cell: 913-832-6130 | Fax: 913-345-6417
Email: Michael.D.Blair at embarq.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/blairmichaeld

This e-mail is the property of EMBARQ and may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender and delete all copies of the message.