[IPAC-List] Use of Application and/or Examination Fees

Mark Hammer Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Tue Jul 14 15:38:54 EDT 2009

This has come up here before, and if memory serves the response was that it can often be more trouble than it is worth.

I guess the question to pose to you is what purpose you want the fee to serve:

1) to simply recover administrative costs?
2) to deter no-shows?
3) to deter those without a snowball's chance in Mumbai?

To my mind, whatever fee-for-test arrangement you institute would be predicated on what you want it to do for you *most*.

Mark Hammer
Ottawa

>>> "Fisher, James" <James.Fisher at mwrdgc.dst.il.us> 2009/07/14 3:32 pm >>>

Our agency is exploring the idea of implementing an application fee
and/or a fee to participate in all or a portion of the examination
process (such as the performance test for skilled trades and police).
Are any of your agencies currently using a fee system? If so, any
information as to amount of the fee, at which steps the fee is assessed
(upon application, for the written test, for each test, etc.), what to
do with questions of inability to pay, etc. would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Jamie Fisher
Employment Manager
Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago
Ph (312)751-5172
Fax (312)751-5171

IPAC-List at ipacweb.org