[IPAC-List] Use of Application and/or Examination Fees

Blair, Michael D[EQ] Michael.D.Blair at Embarq.com
Tue Jul 14 16:38:25 EDT 2009

Jamie -

In addition to Mark's comments, I would add that Karen Coffee published an article in Public Personnel Management entitled "To Fee or Not to Fee". While the article is dated (1996) it is still relevant to the question of applicant fees in the public sector and runs through a series of questions and facts associated with the topic. An excellent read that will provide a solid foundation as you try to tackle the fee or not to fee issue. Past PPM editions are available online on the IPMA website.

A factor that was not considered in Karen's article (because it was not an issue in 1996) is ease of application in the private sector. If you charge an application fee, you will lose many candidates (ranging from great to poor) to the private sector. Most mid-size and larger private sector organizations make it real simple to apply online without cost.

Michael D. Blair
Manager, Recruitment, Selection & Assessment
EMBARQ
Voice: 913-345-6334 | Cell: 913-832-6130 | Fax: 913-345-6417
Email: Michael.D.Blair at embarq.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/blairmichaeld

This e-mail is the property of EMBARQ and may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender and delete all copies of the message.