[IPAC-List] OPM and Presidential Management Fellows?

JONES, KAREN KAREN.Jones at dhs.gov
Wed Sep 30 10:37:41 EDT 2009

The Presidential Management Fellows (https://www.pmf.opm.gov/) has
supplied many graduates for our agency. Basically, the
college/university nominates top students to be identified as a
"fellow." OPM then works with the college and student to match the
student with a government agency to hire them for a two-year fellowship
(which many times leads to a permanent career). OPM sponsors job fairs
specifically for the Fellows to meet with government agencies that may
hire them.
____________________
This rigorous two-year paid fellowship includes:

*Formal classroom training of 160 hours,
*Mandatory four to six month developmental assignment,
*Optional rotations of one to six months in duration,
*Challenging work assignments,
*Potential for accelerated promotions, and
*Opportunities to network with other future leaders.

Benefits
As employees of the Federal Government, Presidential Management Fellows
(PMFs) earn annual leave, sick leave, and paid Federal holidays. Upon
appointment, PMFs may elect life insurance, health insurance, and Thrift
Savings Plan (TSP) options. Many other benefits are agency-specific,
such as transit subsidies, telework arrangements, alternative work
schedules, etc. For additional information on these and other Federal
benefits, please visit www.opm.gov/insure/new_employ/index.asp.
_______________________
Information for academic institutions:
https://www.pmf.opm.gov/HAcademia.aspx

Karen Jones
Research & Evaluation Branch
Office of Training and Development
DHS/U.S. Customs & Border Protection

Tel.: (202) 325-7162 Fax: (202) 325-7150

>One of my graduate students is interested in the OPM Presidential

Management Fellows program. Does anyone know anything about this
program?

>Dennis Doverspike, Ph.D., ABPP

>Professor of Psychology

>Director, Center for Organizational Research Senior Fellow of the

Institute for Life-Span Development and Gerontology Psychology
Department University of >Akron, Ohio 44325-4301