[IPAC-List] Adding bonus points to exam scores of city residents

keith.poole at phoenix.gov keith.poole at phoenix.gov
Tue Nov 3 13:49:00 EST 2009

The closest we get to this is in our Personnel Rules, under Certification
and Appointment, "When two or more applicants have equal qualifications in
the judgment of the appointing authority, preference in selection shall be
given to a Phoenix resident over a non-resident.", but I honestly don't
know we've ever gotten to this in a selection process (i.e., hiring
managers can find a reason person A is more qualified than person B). We
have rule of list except for public safety promotionals, where we have
rule of 5.

However, we have carried over this logic to our layoff/bumping processes
due to RIF, where it has played a role. We have residency as one of
several tiebreakers:

To decide layoff/ bumping order, we look at:
1) Total time in job classification; if two or more have the same class
date then go to...
2) City seniority date
3) Test score at the time they went into the job class in question
4) Total unpaid non-FMLA leave (e.g., people with lowest unpaid leave are
senior)
5) City resident over non-city resident
6) Overall "Not Met" performance review and /or discipline in personnel
file
7) Job application date for current job

I've been told we've gone all the way to the last tiebreaker in some
layoff/bump cases.

Keith Poole
Personnel Supervisor
City of Phoenix Personnel Dept
Employment Services
(602) 262-7140
keith.poole at phoenix.gov

"Phoenix - 2009 All-America City"

The City of Dayton no longer has a residency requirement for City
employees, but we are considering adding bonus points to exam scores of
city residents. We would like to know who on the list is already doing
this or knows of cities that are. We would also be interested in
members' views of the pros and cons of awarding such points whether or
not they are doing so themselves.

Many thanks for all responses. Please indicate if you want your response
to be anonymous and email me directly, if so.

(Forgive me if this issue is discussed in an archive; currently our
persnickety filter is blocking the parts of the IPAC site.)

Nancy Van Atta

Employment Analyst

City of Dayton Civil Service Board

nancy.vanatta at cityofdayton.org