[IPAC-List] Ricci Update Prompts a Question

RPClare at aol.com RPClare at aol.com
Thu Dec 10 10:32:32 EST 2009

This is a complex set of issues that impact each other but are really
separate considerations.
My first thought is that we need to keep collective bargaining agreements
limited in how they impact the selection process. The more detail that is
included, the higher the likelihood that impact will not be able to be
controlled/minimized. In the same vein, "rule of..." should be as broadly drawn
as possible if it cannot be avoided (which usually cannot be).
Second thought is that we must do the best job we can creating a valid
process given the local "legal", "political" and contractual restrictions.
Third thought is that even if we have done a "perfect" fully defensible
job, the local political, economic reality may cause a decision to "back away"
from the process. Pragmatically, this should be fully explored before the
results are published. Folks are less likely to challenge a "no go"
decision if their stake is unknown than if they know they are "reachable" if the
list is used.
Fourth thought, organizational legal counsel will have a major impact on
the go/no go decision. They often/usually are not sophisticated in our
business. The more we educate them before such a decision is necessary, the more
likely their decision will be a supportive one. While they may make a
recommendation based on the cost issues of this event, we need to help them
understand the longer range impact (and cost implications) on the selection
process.

In a message dated 12/10/2009 9:47:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,