[IPAC-List] Job Qualifications

Dennis Doverspike dd1 at uakron.edu
Tue May 11 19:19:16 EDT 2010

Julie,

If you do a search of the archives, you will see that this is a topic that
comes up from time to time. Your question appears a little different in that
you seem to be asking about combinations for the candidate rather than
combinations for the job, I also assume you are talking about determining
whether an applicant is minimally qualified.

In terms of combinations, I believe old posts have covered this but a common
one is one year for one year. Another option is to make the tradeoffs
consistent with the job evaluation system, if there is one.

However, in general, I tend to offer the advice that tradeoffs should be
avoided. Tradeoffs frequently lead to problems, including charges of
disparate treatment. If you are going to do tradeoffs, it seems more
defensible to set a couple of education levels first, and then set
experience levels corresponding to those tradeoffs. So, I would say rather
than setting up a formula or matrix of tradeoffs, go with a few simple
tradeoffs.

Dennis Doverspike, Ph.D., ABPP
Professor of Psychology
Director, Center for Organizational Research
Senior Fellow of the Institute for Life-Span Development and Gerontology
Psychology Department
University of Akron
Akron, Ohio 44325-4301
330-972-8372 (Office)
330-972-5174 (Office Fax)
ddoverspike at uakron.edu

The information is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential, privileged and/or a work product for
the sole use of the intended recipient. No confidentiality or privilege is
waived or lost by any errant transmission. If you receive this message in
error, please destroy all copies of it and notify the sender. If the reader
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. In the case of E-mail or electronic transmission, immediately
delete it and all copies of it from your system and notify the sender.
E-mail and fax transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
or incomplete, or contain viruses.