[IPAC-List] Job Qualifications

Bryan Baldwin Bryan.Baldwin at doj.ca.gov
Wed May 12 16:07:24 EDT 2010

Excellent points, well taken. I suppose my main problem is instead of
going back to basics (what does the job analysis say, what would be the
best way to test given the required KSAs, what are the current best
practices in selection), they seem to be running headlong backwards
(technology-wise). Would love to see more discussion of (proctored and
unproctored) Internet-based tests. Seems to me that's the direction
cutting-edge employers are going and it's a way to maximize validity as
well as speed (again, where it's appropriate). Just don't want to have
them throw the baby out with the bath water.

Part of my reaction might (95% probability) have to do with the fact
that this is the type of movement I saw in the state of Washington and
what's going on with the state of California. Perhaps, as you point
out, this is an opportunity for us all to speak up loud and clear about
the right (and wrong) ways to modernize.

BB

>>> "Mueller, Lorin" <LMueller at air.org> 5/12/2010 12:58 PM >>>

Some thoughts from 9 or so years of peering over the shoulders of
federal hiring managers.

1) Even is KSA statements are more valid than résumé -based decisions,
it doesn't matter much if they discourage applicants or if applicants
select-out before decisions can be made. The most common complaints
among my federal clients is that they get a certificate of eligibles,
start calling to arrange interviews, and everyone withdraws because they
have already found other jobs. And these are folks who filled out the
application in the first place.

2) I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that KSA statements are
more valid than point-based T&Es. I think the problem with point-based
T&Es is that we don't have a way to score them that is consistent with
reality. These things aren’t additive, they are configural. Early in the
federal hiring process, we just want to know whether someone has the
basic qualifications to perform the work successfully. That typically
requires one of many combinations of education and experience that we
believe confer KSAs. In our SIOP workshop, Steve Ferrara and I presented
(in brief) a potential method for matrix-based resume scoring that I
think is more reliable, valid, and legally defensible than other
approaches. It still may not be the equal to the validity of KSA
statements in a lab setting, but it lowers the time investment for
highly qualified applicants. In short, I think there are valid ways to
score résumés that are valid for making basic qualifications decisions,
but it’s not exactly a sexy research area (just try to do a lit review
on the topic).

3) All of the above presumes that KSA statements are completed by the
applicant. A common complaint among hiring managers is that they get
applicants who were obviously coached on what to write in their KSA
statements. Not surprisingly, this is a common complaint among
applicants as well - that KSA statements are coached or the questions
are slanted to a particular candidate.

I am not saying this is what I would have done (agencies who have
flirted with résumé based hiring have had their won problems), but it
does address some common complaints regarding the federal hiring
process. I see our role as I/O psychologists and HR professionals is to
propose and promote best practices to maximize the reliability,
validity, fairness, and legal defensibility of the new processes.

Lorin Mueller, PhD, SPHR
Principal Research Scientist
American Institutes for Research