[IPAC-List] Job Qualifications

Mueller, Lorin LMueller at air.org
Wed May 12 16:22:34 EDT 2010

Not to engage in endless rejoinders but I am stuck in an airport!

Anyway, I am sure I'll be called a heretic of sorts but I don't think a job analysis is the best way to gather this kind of information. Job analyses are designed to give us information about (a) what is done on the job and (b) what KSAOs are required to do those things. Most (inf not all) job analytic approaches don't do much to take a census of how someone might obtain those KSAOs.

Nor should it, IMO. You really have to have a special kind of SME who can think about all the different ways someone can gain insight into how people acquire KSAOs. They can confirm or deny, especially with decision supports like course syllabi or previous job descriptions, but they generally don't pull this stuff from thin air.

My proposed approach uses SMEs to review resumes for KSA-relevant information, which they can put into a matrix to determine whether a candidate has met the BQs. It's an iterative process that first attempts to build the matrix by initially classifying people as qualified or not qualified (and asks the reasons why), then re-classifies people using the matrix, then adjusts the matrix or classifications to promote consistency and validity in classifications. The matrix can be used and refined over multiple applicant pools. But it does need a competent professional to manage the process.

So the good news is we'll all still have jobs!

Lorni