[IPAC-List] Written Communication Exercises

Deonda Scott deonda.scott at cityoforlando.net
Tue May 25 11:04:40 EDT 2010

Hello Mr. Mudd,

If the incumbents in the position use computers with typical word processing
software, then it would appropriate to provide them with those tools during
the test.

Our organization gives assessment center exercises and, when there is a
writing report required, they can choose to hand write it or use a
computer. Written communication is just one of the skills measured by these
exercises along with organizing and planning, judgement, perception and
analysis, etc. Grammar, syntax, spelling, correct usage, meaning, and the
message are assessed as aspects of written communication. I advise
candidates who say they have terrible handwriting or spelling that it might
help them to use the computer, but the choice is still theirs.

If I knew the other components of your promotional process I might be able
to comment further on appropriate updates to the memo-writing exercise.

Now I'm going to spell check this message. :)
Deonda Scott

--
Déonda Scott
Employment, Assessment & Development Manager

Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large

Florida has a very broad public records law. As a result, any
written communication created or received by the City of
Orlando officials and employees will be made available to the
public and media, upon request, unless otherwise exempt.
Under Florida law, email addresses are public records.

If you do not want your email address released in response
to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to
this office. Instead, contact our office by phone or in writing.