[IPAC-List] Reliability for T&Es

RPClare at aol.com RPClare at aol.com
Tue Jun 22 11:54:19 EDT 2010

I can't help offering a rambling contribution to this discussion. We
discuss T&E as if it were a single entity when is truly is a widely divergent
practice applied by practitioners with vastly different competencies to
highly diverse jobs. From the unions perspective, the tighter the rule of list
(or seniority) the less management has the opportunity to "play favorites"
with its members and the fewer challenges they get ("they appointed the top
scorer as required by rule/contract"). Whether our selection tool ranks or
not, the appointing authority "ranks", often on criteria unrelated to job
performance.
If the "job" is clearly defined (often it is not), the (job-related)
criteria clearly defined in writing, the raters well trained, random samples
cross rated to check consistency, and the entire process communicated
effectively. We are likely to get relatively high reliability. From a PR stand
point, lack of reliability/consistency will destroy the process internally.
Many public sector jobs are in flux as we "downsize", broaden functions,
eliminate levels and outsource. Our job descriptions usually don't reflect
that because they are static documents in a rapidly changing environment. If
the jobs don't have reliability, the instrument can't have it.

In a message dated 6/22/2010 11:31:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,