[IPAC-List] MSPB Requests Input for Research Agenda

Mark Hammer Mark.Hammer at psc-cfp.gc.ca
Mon Jul 26 11:37:08 EDT 2010

Traditional utility analysis has focussed on the relationship between
the stringency of screening and assessment (and time, money, effort
invested in it) and the quality of what you get at the end.

Increasingly, public sector organizations find themselves in a position
whereby they get some great hires, but the mobility opportunities
available to certain categories of employees, and the easily-accessed
application tools these days, can often make it such that the person
you've spent 6-8 months of work into hiring leaves you within a year
after starting.

For this reason, I think it is high time to consider utility analysis
in the broader perspective. In other words, not just the relationship
between assessment and quality of hire, but assessment and duration of
hire.

Strategically, this is a tricky thing to explore. A great many
organizations may survey managers about the folks they hire, but rarely
do it at a point in the overall arc where the manager is able to say
"Yep, glad I hired them, and they're STILL with us, now, 2 years on.".
So the challenge is to figure out a way to get managers to retrospect,
and work backwards from the *fact* of a perceived-to-be hasty departure
of someone you thought was a good hire, to the events/conditions leading
up to it. Those events could be assessment-related (we never really
looked for conscientiousness, or even career goals), or
workplace-climate related (the organization was in general upheaval at
that time anyway), instrumental (the organization provides training
within the first year that makes people far more marketable), or
job-market related (people in that line of work could have their pick of
jobs), or any combination of them.

Again, this is not necessarily pertinent to all job types and levels,
but for some mission-critical sorts of jobs, it is VERY pertinent. For
example, we here in Canada have been experiencing near constant turnover
of HR staff for a little while now, and the impact has been immense.

I'll probably give you some more ideas, John, but this is one to get
you started.

Regards to James, Peter, Harry and Paul

Mark Hammer
Ottawa

This e-mail message is intended for the named recipient(s) and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or
re-transmission is prohibited. If you are not a named recipient or not
authorized by the named recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, then please notify the sender immediately and delete
the message and any copies.

Ce courriel est destiné exclusivement au destinataire mentionné en titre
et peut contenir de l'information privilégiée, confidentielle ou
soustraite à la communication aux termes des lois applicables. Toute
divulgation non autorisée, toute reproduction ou réacheminement est
interdit. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce courriel, ou n'êtes
pas autorisé par le destinataire visé, ou encore, si vous l'avez reçu
par erreur, veuillez le mentionner immédiatement à l'expéditeur et
supprimer le courriel et les copies.