[IPAC-List] iPad-Based Testing

Hawkes, Ben Ben.Hawkes at Kenexa.com
Tue Feb 15 05:55:49 EST 2011

Good point from Mark Hammer: I think it’s a great time to start talking about mobile unproctored testing.

I have been very sceptical about mobile testing. As an industry, we’ve got PC-based testing pretty much covered (I think!) But introduce mobile devices – each with a different screen size, readability, connection speed – and we introduce many potential sources of error that will result in reduced reliability and validity. And that doesn’t even take into account the likely differences in test performance between taking the test at home versus taking it on a busy commuter train!

That said, I’m softening up. I’m trying to see it as simply another channel for online testing. And I do believe that over the next couple of years we’ll be seeing even more tests delivered that way. I’d be interested to hear others’ experiences and thoughts about it.

If any of you are attending SIOP Conference in April, there’s a discussion panel on this topic – “Selection via Smart Phone/Mobile Devices: Is I-O Psychology Ready?”, with Taleo, SHL Previsor and others (including me!)

- Ben

Ben Hawkes
Director, Simulation Development
Kenexa
London, UK

-----Original Message-----
From: John Ford [mailto:johnf at us.net]
Sent: 14 February 2011 15:39
To: IPAC-List at ipacweb.org
Subject: [IPAC-List] iPad-Based Testing

One of the improvements I'd like to see for the iPad is the ability to turn it to landscape mode and display two iPhone-sized apps next to each other, with both functioning. In theory this should not be a difficult addition now that there is multi-tasking.

While I'd like this so I can look at web pages and write notes about them, etc., this would be very good for iPad-based testing as well. It would allow a test application to run next to an exhibit or tool like a calculator.

Just a thought...