[IPAC-List] scoring multiple answer questions

cpaullin at humrro.org cpaullin at humrro.org
Wed Mar 23 08:47:26 EDT 2011

I'm sharing an answer from Gordon Waugh, one of HumRRO's senior scientists
who worked extensively with item types such as this one. He also
presented a paper at the 2010 Association for Test Publishers Conference
comparing different item types. If you are interested in the paper and
can't find it on the ATP website, let me know, and I'd be happy to share
it with you.

Here's Gordon's response (note that it's consistent with one of Dennis
Doverspike's recommendations):

The type of question you are describing (multiple-answer) is commonly
called "Multiple True False (MTF)" or "Multiple Response."

The name, "multiple true-false," actually hints at the most popular way to
give partial credit scoring for this type of item. Treat each response
option as a true-false item. When someone selects an option they are
actually stating that it is true. When someone does not select an option
they are stating that it is false. The scoring key can be viewed the same
way. Each option is, in reality, either true or false.

So, each option is scored in the following way:
- If the key says the option is false, and the examinee does not select
the option (i.e., she thinks it is false), then assign a score of 1 to
that option.
- If the key says the option is false, and the examinee selects the option
(i.e., she thinks it is true), then assign a score of 0 to that option.
- If the key says the option is true, and the examinee does not select the
option (i.e., she thinks it is false), then assign a score of 0 to that
option.
- If the key says the option is true, and the examinee selects the option
(i.e., she thinks it is true), then assign a score of 1 to that option.

The score for the entire item is simply the sum of the option scores. So,
if an item has four options, then the possible scores on the item are
0,1,2,3,4.

You should also weight the item scores. Note that a four-option MTF item
has a maximum score of 4. You should probably multiple the item score by
1/4 so that the maximum item score is 1.0.

By the way, I have done research that compares (a) partial credit vs.
all-or-none scoring and (b) different weighting (item=1 point vs. option=1
point) and described it in an ATP 2010 conference paper/