[IPAC-List] Getting people into jobs they're gonna love

Kelly Sorensen kelsoren at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:46:27 EDT 2011

I am much more comfortable with RJPs than I am with the "making these
decisions for them," if the basis for the decision isn't clearly related to
job performance. In addition to concerns about legal defensibility, I'm
concerned for the following reasons:

1. This approach reminds me of "benevolent sexism," where managers assume
that woman won't want to travel, take international positions, move into
highly demanding stretch roles, etc. because "they have young children," or
whatever.
2. As an intern I worked on a project where someone was given feedback on a
personality measure that basically told him that he was pursuing a
career that was a very poor fit for him. He learned this as a developmental
assessment center for high potentials. Clearly he was performing well in his
job or he wouldn't have been nominated to participate in the very
prestigious and highly competative program. Would he have difficulty in the
role later on at higher levels? Perhaps, but perhaps not. By all accounts
(including his) he loved his job, even though it wasn't "supposed" to be a
good fit for him. Prediction isn't perfect, and if what we are predicting
isn't related to job performance, I don't think we can justify it.
3. We don't necessarily know why a person is interested in a job. Perhpas an
applicant's partner has an incredibly demanding job, they have young
children, and that partner needs a job that will allow them some work-life
balance. Also, a number of famous authors have been civil servants. For
some, their job required much less of them than they were capable of, and
thus they were able to develop their novels while performing what otherwise
might be unsatisfiying work. In other cases, their job provided inspiration
for their writing. Melville worked in the Customs House in NYC. Orwell
worked for the Indian Imperial Police Force in Burma. While perhaps we might
not consider these ideal reasons for taking a job, the point I'm trying to
make is that it seems presumptuous of us to make these kinds of decisions
for people. And of course, many people are primarily motivated by pay. That
might be less than ideal as well, but it's perhaps irrelevant if they are
high performers (taking into account both techinical and soft skills).

In an ideal world it would be nice if we could know what jobs people would
and wouldn't enjoy. However, I think it's probably a much more viable option
to focus our attention on realistic job previews.