[IPAC-List] SME issue

Brian O'Sullivan bjo at iosolutions.org
Fri Jun 24 11:08:44 EDT 2011

Tom,

Like Michael, I have significant experience in public safety testing
over the last 15 years with two Chicago area companies that solely
engage in entry-level and promotional testing for large public safety
agencies (police & fire primarily). I echo Michael's sentiments. I been
the lead developer and consultant on over 300 promotional test
development processes and I've never had an experience with an SME
cohort quite that large. I would estimate that the average SME pool is
from 5-7, with a minimum of one (unfortunately) and a maximum of 11.
This would be beyond aberrant, regardless of the test development
methodology. Of course, my experiences have been shaped by my own
guidance and philosophy. Still, I've never encountered an agency that
had this expectation or previous practice (from a prior vendor).

It sounds like your promotional process is being "used" to further other
individual and organizational goals (i.e., motivation, employee
development, rewarding/recognizing supervisors, etc.).

Brian

Brian J. O'Sullivan

Director of Consulting

Industrial/Organizational (I/O) Solutions, Inc.

1127 S. Mannheim Rd. Ste 203

Westchester, IL 60154

p. 888.784.1290 f. 708.410.1558

www.iosolutions.org and www.publicsafetyrecruitment.com